Vote by mail 

Who can vote by mail
Absentee voting by mail gives all people, including people with disability, the opportunity to vote without having to travel to their polling location.

When to apply for an absentee ballot
You can request an absentee ballot anytime after January 1st, or 90 days before the date of an election, whichever is earlier.

Absentee ballots are available:

  • For the upcoming Special Election, Tuesday, April 9, 2019
  • 29 days before special, primary and general elections

How the vote-by-mail process works
  • You must ask for an absentee ballot in writing.
  • You must submit your request to the Carroll County Board of Elections.
  • You are encouraged, but not required, to use the Carroll County absentee application

Request a ballot by mail
  • Official Secretary of State absentee request forms are available on the Ohio Secretary of State's website or by calling the Carroll County Board of Elections.
  • Your request must contain:
    1. Your name;
    2. Your legal signature;
    3. The address where you are registered to vote;
    4. Your birth date;
    5. One of the following to show proof of your identification:
      • Your driver's license number or
      • The last four digits of your Social Security number or
      • A copy of your current and valid photo identification, military identification, or a current utility bill, current bank statement, current government check, current paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and current address (excluding a voter registration acknowledgement notice mailed by the Carroll County Board of Elections)
    6. A statement that you are a qualified elector;
    7. If the request is for a partisan primary election ballot, your political party affiliation; and
    8. If you want the ballot to be mailed to you, the address to which you want it mailed.

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens
Members of the uniformed services or residing overseas may apply for an absentee ballot in any of the following ways:

  • You may use the current Federal Post Card Application (FPCA).  The FPCA may be used both to register to vote and to request absentee ballots.
  • You also may request an absentee ballot using the Secretary of State prescribed form 11-A , if you will be in Ohio during the absentee period; otherwise, use an FPCA.
  • If you already are a registered Ohio voter, you may designate an eligible relative to request an absentee ballot on your behalf, like using the Secretary of State prescribed Form 11-E or the FPCA.